Historic Milestones for North Carolina’s Electric Cooperatives
North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation (NCEMC) was the first incorporated organization of the state’s electric cooperatives, but it was neither the first nor the only collective organization the co-ops have formed.
NCEMC today operates alongside three other statewide organizations for the benefit of their member cooperatives. Following is a set of milestone dates in the corporate history.
1943: A group of cooperative managers form an advisory committee to develop a joint Job Safety and Training program.
1945: The managers committee expands, names itself the North Carolina Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NCRECA), hires a job safety and training supervisor and creates an Education and Public Relations Committee.
1948: The association adopts independently-owned Carolina Farmer magazine as its official publication.
1949: Eastern North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation (Eastern), a generation and transmission cooperative, is formed by 17 cooperatives.
1950: NCRECA incorporates as Tarheel Electric Membership Association, Inc. (TEMA) to perform communications, government relations and job training functions for its 19 member cooperatives.
1951: TEMA has 29 member cooperatives.
1952: TEMA buys Carolina Farmer, hires executive manager William T. Crisp, opens an office in downtown Raleigh.
1955: Eastern contracts with Carolina Power & Light for Kerr Dam power.
1958: Eastern merges with the western cooperatives’ power supply organization to become North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation (NCEMC). Responsibilities expand to include other statewide services.
1959: All 32 cooperatives are members of NCEMC.
1960: NCEMC places the administration of its operations in the TEMA offices, hires Walter E. Fuller as executive secretary and William T. Crisp as general counsel.
1972: TEMA merges into NCEMC, which assumes all TEMA’s functions, assets and liabilities. TEMA becomes dormant.
1975: The cooperatives revise TEMA’s charter to transform it into a material supply and central purchasing cooperative. All 28 co-ops in the state join.
1978: 28 cooperatives form the North Carolina Association of Electric Cooperatives, Inc. (NCAEC) to assume NCEMC’s functions in public relations, government relations, member services and job safety and training. NCEMC concentrates on power supply and distribution responsibilities.
1981: NCEMC becomes part owner of Catawba Nuclear Station in York County, S.C.
1985: Catawba Nuclear Station Unit I begins commercial operation.
1989: NCEMC builds two peak generation plants on the Outer Banks, one at Buxton and another on Ocracoke Island.
1993: Seven cooperatives form the CEC Self Insurance Fund to fund workers compensation insurance.
1998: NCEMC and member cooperatives create TSE Services, a limited liability corporation, to market energy-related services and products to consumers.
2002: NCEMC and 26 member cooperatives form EMC Technologies, LLC, a for-profit company that provides information technology and telecommunications services to NCEMC, member cooperatives and others.
2003: The Catawba Nuclear Station is re-licensed to operate through 2043.
2004: TEMA completes construction of a new warehouse and office on Wadford Dr., off US 1 North, in North Raleigh.
2006: NCEMC builds two 300-megawatt peak load generation facilities, fueled primarily by natural gas, in Anson and Richmond counties.
2008: GreenCo Solutions, Inc. is formed to help member cooperatives meet their energy efficiency and renewable energy goals.
^Back to top